Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Our Letter

Dear Friend,



We have spent a lot of time thinking about this letter, hoping to compose it in a way that will show our love for you. First, we’d like to thank you for taking the time to read our letter. We can’t imagine the decisions you are facing right now and how hard they must be. We want you to know how much we respect and admire your strength. We pray the Lord will give you comfort and peace throughout this journey, in whatever direction you choose for you and your precious baby. We believe in our hearts, for you to even consider adoption, you are redefining what it is to love your child unconditionally. We hope through this letter you gain a better understanding of who we are.


We will start with how we became, Seth & Lacey Jay. Seth is five yrs older than me; he had served a mission in Tijuana, Mexico and was in his third year of college. I was a social butterfly fresh out of high school and away at college for the first time, ready to have the time of my life. We definitely noticed each other. However, with Seth being shy and me wanting to ‘experience’ college, we both avoided the pull towards each other. It took a few months but the stars finally aligned and we had our first conversation. Starting the next day Seth made up any reason he could to come by my apartment. The next few weeks we became inseparable. We were both smitten. It is now six years later AND we’ve built an amazing life together. I will never forget how I shamefully fell for the shy guy down stairs my first six months away at college. Haha. It changed my life and I’m now married to my best friend.


Before we were married we were blessed with a strong feeling about adoption. We knew it would somehow be a part of our lives. The time came not long after we were married that we felt it was time to start our family. We soon realized that feeling and love for adoption was the Lord preparing us for a journey that would change our lives. After my surgery, we realized we may never be able to have a child without the blessing of someone else. It was heartbreaking and devastating. However, we felt the Lord’s hand in our life and we knew there was meaning. We were more than grateful for the seed of adoption that was placed in our hearts years before. We were given that blessing from someone else who is now our angel; in 2008 when we were chosen to be the parents to our son, Mason Cole. It was the most life-changing and incredible blessing we’ve ever received. He has filled our lives and hearts in a way words cannot explain. The first day we held him we knew the Lord indeed had a deeper plan for us and Mason was the beginning of it. We know in our hearts it’s time to expand our family and our love to a second child that is meant for us. We cannot wait to experience this miracle again. For we know the last time enriched our lives and we can’t wait to grow even more as a family.


LACEY’S WORDS ABOUT SETH: Let me tell you a little bit about Seth. He is my best friend. He is truly the most humble person I know. He’s never needed a lot of material things to make him happy. Seth is extremely hard working and would do anything to support his family. The neatest thing with Seth is everything about him is honest, real, and true. He’s one of those people that you could find anybody from his past and they would have nothing but good to say about him. He is a very genuine person. He is also very calm. You wouldn’t know it at first but he has quite the sense of humor. He could watch a Chris Farley movie over and over. He is so good to me. Even after six years of being together he still opens every door for me. Seth is so good with children especially our son. Seeing him as a dad has allowed me to fall in love with him even more and in a whole new way. I don’t know who has a larger grin on their face when Seth walks in the door from work, Mason or Seth? He takes the time to be a dad. He interacts with Mason from the time he walks in the door till Mason goes to bed. Seth enjoys running, hunting, watching as well as participating in any sport, paint balling, rock climbing, fishing, camping and canoeing. Seth actually likes to cook. Believe it or not, he taught me a lot in the kitchen. He is very adventurous and will try just about anything. He also plays the piano and has a healthy appreciation for music.


Seth’s Words about Lacey: Let me tell you a little bit about Lacey. She is funny and can always bring a smile to your face. She’S so good at knowing when I need a ‘pick me up’ she’ll leave a note on the mirror written in make up or prepare my lunch and have A reminder on the door for me in the morning. Lacey has a heart of gold and is always thinking of others. If she sees or knows of someone who is having a hard time, she will go out of her way to cheer them up. Lacey has been a great strength and support to me, whether it’s moving out of state or starting a new career she is always behind me 100%. She brings a warmth and love into our home, and our lives. The thing I love most about her is her ability to love unconditionally. She values the importance of family. Lacey was born to be a mother. She has an amazing love and caring spirit for children that I noticed even before Mason joined our family. To see her interact with Mason, read to him, research what foods to make for him, help him to crawl and walk, has helped me love her more. She puts Mason's needs before her own, cares for him when he's sick, cleans up after his messes...and does it with so much love. She's wonderful! Lacey is an excellent cook and is always trying out new recipes. Lacey has an amazing eye for photography. Lacey also loves to scrapbook, read, write, and do yoga. She loves the great outdoors; camping, riding motorcycles, snow shoeing, fishing (catch & release for her) or accomplishing some insane hike with her mom,


Being able to share our lives with Mason has given us so much joy. As a family we love to go camping, hiking, 4-wheeling, to the park, sledding, swimming, traveling, and playing games and most importantly just spending time together. While our son did not come to us as usual, we love and appreciate Mason with a love and appreciation that can only come from such a miracle. As we know we will love our second.


As we had lunch with Mason’s birth mother Melissa recently, she spoke about our future birth mom and the empathy she had for her position. She expressed her willingness to take part in our letter. We thought who better to hear from then someone who has already entrusted us with her sweet child. Here are Melissa’s words.


Birth Mom- My name is Melissa I’m 24, I live in southern California. When I decided I wanted to go through the adoption process I came to LDS Family Services to talk about the family I was going to choose to raise my baby. My social worker mentioned Lacey and Seth, so I looked through their profile. I prayed about it and I felt the spirit so strong that I couldn't breathe. I began to cry. I knew without a doubt in my mind that it was them. I met them two days before my birthday. I knew this was going to be the best thing ever to meet the future parents of my son, but I knew it would also be a little hard. As they walked in Lacey just smiled and looked at me; I knew that this was supposed to be Masons other mommy. We both held each other so tight and wept. We sat down for about 2 hours and talked about everything. It was such a fun time I loved talking to them. Lacey is very sweet, she is so calming and has the best personality, she adores our Mason. Lacey and Seth are raising him in the gospel and he is such a happy baby. Seth and Lacey are very giving, they enjoy all sports and they love 4 wheeling, which is my fav. Seth is kind of quiet but is so funny. They love country music and are the best parents for Mason. I couldn’t be happier. It makes me feel so secure that my baby is being loved by everyone around him. Their family is the best. They are the most loving people I have ever met. They're so much fun!!!


I hope that as you ponder and pray that you listen to your heart, not what everyone tells you to do, listen to your Heavenly Father. He will guide you to the right family as he did for mine. Lacey and Seth are seriously the best and kindest people I know. They couldn't be better for my baby Mason. They will cherish and teach your baby the most important things in life. I hope that your journey is filled with peace and full of the spirit. May you choose the best family that will suit you and your baby the best. Just always remember that you are loved and trust in yourself to make the right decision.


From one Mother to another, Melissa


Our hearts we leave with you while you make this difficult decision. If you decided to place, we pray you will follow your heart and are guided by the Lord to the right family, even if it’s not us. We sincerely pray for your happiness in reaching the destination that is meant for you and your child. If it is us, we have full faith that you’ll know and feel it as you read these words. We love you already. We are extremely blessed in loving, knowing and interacting with both sides of our son’s birth families. We are completely open to building a relationship that works for all of us. If you decide to place, your child, our child, will always know you as their birthmother. Your child will always know they grew in your belly and in our hearts. We will do our best to show your love and teach them of your self sacrifice throughout their life. Your child will always know you and be aware of our appreciation, gratitude, and our love-filled debt we owe to you for giving us the one thing we want more than anything in this world.


Thank you for considering us. Thank you for taking the time to read a little about us. We hope you have a clear picture of who we are and what it is that we hold dear to our hearts. We promise to love this child and give them our undivided attention forevermore. We promise to teach them right and wrong. We promise to encourage them to grow into their own person and allow them to learn all they want to learn. We promise to teach them to live by the spirit and listen to our Father in Heaven. We promise to do our very best in raising them into someone that you, us, and the Lord will be proud of. Most importantly we promise to LOVE them unconditionally as you do. We promise. We love you and truly commend you for your bravery and courage as you embark on this journey.



With all the love we have, Seth & Lacey Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment